Wednesday 26 November 2014

How Not To Dye Your Hair

If you've seen my most recent video then you'll know that I recently made the transition to "full blonde" from ombre look I was sporting before. And it went  a bit wrong... Here's the story of my hair.




That's an after picture, since then I have been using lots of purple shampoo to try and tone down the brassy colours I seem to be sporting. The next step will be to apply a White Toner as a more permanent attempt.

Onto the during pictures. I used Bleach London Total Bleach and got my boyfriend to apply to dye. I trusted him to have read the instructions (he said he did). But I was a bit worried when I realised that most of the dye was going on the roots and being spread down the rest of my hair. As it started to develop I realised I should have stopped him and explain what I thought he should have been doing.




White blond roots, the rest dark brown. Not what I wanted! I quickly washed it out and once dry it didn't look too bad.


But I had to change it. I went out the next day with a hat firmly placed on my head and feeling sorry for myself. We picked up two more boxes of bleach and a box of toner and set to work correcting the mistake. This time I told my boyfriend to apply the dye to full length of the hair (except the roots). I waited until my roots and lengths looked like they might be the same colour. Once washed and dried I looked like this.

Pretty yellow, but definitely more even. It took a lot of purple shampoo before I felt comfortable tying it up. I didn't really intend to go this light, but now I'm rolling with it and might even attempt some pastel colours before rectifying it with a trip to the hair dressers. I still have one box of bleach left but I think it'll be awhile before I use it.

My tips for you if you want to dye your hair are go the hairdressers if you're doing some drastic, but if you want to do it at home then remember that the roots will develop colour much faster than the rest of your hair because of the warmth of your head. Apply dye here last.

What are your hair disasters? 

No comments :

Post a Comment