Wednesday 24 April 2013

Guest Post: Review - La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Baume

In my attempt to convert everyone to La Roche-Posay products, I’ve even got my Mum on the hype. I got her to write a review of a product I first saw recommended by EssieButton here. This is what she had to say, words are her own:


"You may have noticed that Ellie Mae has developed a thing for La Roche-Posay products (see previous post here). She also frequently remarks on the state of my hands as looking less than well-cared for. I have always been prone to occasional eczema, and generally have very dry and red hands. These two factors made her encourage me to get some La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Baume B5. It’s described as ‘Soothing Repairing Balm’ for skin irritations and ‘cutaneous heating sensations’ (I think there’s something lost in translation there, the French phrase is more like ‘superficial skin inflammation’).
Being old and cynical I wasn’t really expecting any very remarkable results, but at her insistence I went to Boots and got some for £15.00. It’s an uncomplicated thickish white cream, paraben-free and fragrance-free and to be applied twice daily. I used it last thing at night, and in the morning when I’d finished the cleansing routine and – somewhat to my surprise – it has been really effective.

For the first couple of days my hands were still dry, but much less like an emery board. Then the general redness diminished and the overall texture was much smoother. I’m never going to have the hands of a 20-year-old again (and that would look odd anyway) but they definitely look a lot better and I have no need to feel self-conscious about them.

The balm isn’t strictly speaking a moisturiser, but what I’ve found is that it makes my skin somehow more receptive to moisturising. In fact I can use the most generic cream, like E45, and it becomes really effective, so the cost of the balm can be offset by avoiding a lavish hand cream, especially if you want to be fragrance-free.

After about 10 days, we went away for a few nights and I took the balm with me but didn’t use it, just to see what would happen. My skin stayed just as smooth, so it seems it’s not essential to use it constantly. Now I put it on a couple of times a week when I think of it, and otherwise just moisturiser
.
So, thanks for the advice, I’m a convert."

So there you go. If there are any new products around for more mature skin than mine, I’ll be sure to pass them on to her and get a review. She has a (non-beauty) blog of her own here, which you should definitely go and read. 

While Mum got her La Roche-Posay goodies at Boots, Escentuals carries them for cheaper and has a bigger range.

No comments :

Post a Comment